I love pineapple fried rice! Since we’ve been trying to eat healthier, I figured I would try a quinoa version. (Okay, our whole weekend was spent eating hot dogs, burgers, and pizza while we were out…so something urgent had to be done here to end our Sunday on good terms.)
I didn’t follow a recipe, followed my senses and just did whatever came to my mind.
Recipe open to your own taste
1. Marinate 1 chicken breast with salt, pepper and curry powder for at least 30 min.
2. Cook 1 cup of of quinoa in chicken broth. (how to cook quinoa)
3. Throw sliced chicken pieces in the pan with some minced garlic. Set aside once they’re cooked.
4. Add cooked quinoa, frozen carrots, peas and pineapple to the pan and stir.
5. Make a hole in the middle of the quinoa and add 2 beaten eggs. Wait for it to cook a little, then stir.
6. Add cooked chicken back into the mix.
7. Season to your liking- pepper, curry powder, garlic powder, even a dash of soy sauce.
Quinoa was a good and delicious substitute for rice- the flavors were all there. David kept saying MmMmMm! (By the way, he is an honest one. When it’s good, he will nod his head and tell me he’s impressed. When it’s not, I’ll get his infamous loving “critiques.” It’s mutual.)
Coincidentally, Facebook reminded me that I cooked this exactly 2 years ago during my “wifey-in-training” period:
My wifey-in-training days were my intro to cooking and fun outlet, during my unemployment time. I followed recipes to a T for awhile before I finally omitted the measuring spoons and got more daring with my own seasoning shakes. Training wheels are off in the cooking department, hahaha but not so much in the cleaning arena…
Maybe next time, if I am cooking for a few people, I’ll spend the extra time to serve it in a fresh pineapple. So when are you coming over for dinner? 😉